The Fruit of the Spirit-Self-Control Part 2
When you are filled with the Spirit and walk in the Spirit you will produce the fruit of the Spirit – Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, and Self-Control (Galatians 5).
We want to help you go deeper in your understanding of the Fruit of the Spirit. Watch “The Fruit of the Spirit” and learn how to be filled with and walk in the Spirit.
Follow along with sermon notes on the You Version Bible App bit.ly/fruitofselfcontrol2
Last week we ended our first message on self-control with these steps to making this a reality in our lives:
1. Humble yourself and admit that you need the Holy Spirit to control you.
2. Stop making promises you can’t keep. Repent of your sin.
3. Ask God to fill you with His Spirit. Ask Him to teach you to walk in the Spirit.
4. Consider yourself to be dead to sin. Put your flesh to death, crucify it.
5. Trust God to do what he says he will do. Believe that Christ lives in you.
In each message on the fruit of the Spirit, I have emphasized the importance of looking at the fruit as produced by God the Spirit in and through us. When we walk in the Spirit all nine of the fruits are evident in our lives. God gets the credit and the glory because He is at work in us.
We are Not Passive in the Christian Life
… work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure. Philippians 2:12–13 (NKJV)
Look at the implications from 1 Corinthians 9:19-27:
1. Together we willingly serve others in order to gain people for the gospel. V19
… I also please all men in all things, not seeking my own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved. 1 Corinthians 10:33 (NKJV)
2. We adjust our lifestyle, culture, routine in order to reach others for the gospel. Vs 20-23
3. We are in a race; we run to win. V24
Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us. Hebrews 12:1 (NKJV)
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 2 Timothy 4:7 (NKJV)
4. Like an athlete, we must exercise self-control by disciplining ourselves. V25
5. We have an eternal reward for running well. V25
Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing. 2 Timothy 4:8
6. We set clear goals; the race is real. V26
We live in a virtual reality culture. Reality TV, video games, virtual sports, stadium sports. We are viewers more than participants. We watch the game from the stands. Christians cannot be on the sidelines. Our race is real. Eternity is at stake. People’s lives hang in the balance.
7. We must practice what we preach. V27
And also if anyone competes in athletics, he is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules.
2 Timothy 2:5 (NKJV)
Do not quench the Spirit. 1 Thessalonians 5:19 (NKJV)
And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Ephesians 4:30 (NKJV)
RUNNING THE RACE
I. Run to Win (V24)
Ask God to renew your passion for the Gospel
II. Exercise Self-Control (V25)
Abstain from every form of evil. 1 Thessalonians 5:22
III. Press Toward the Goal with Eternity in Mind (Vs 25-26)
I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:14 (NKJV)
IV. Punch Yourself Out (V27)
Take an inventory of those things, behaviors, words, habits, that control you.
We invite you to join us live next Sunday at 10:45am in Tulsa, or at 11 am online.
Download or Stream our weekly Podcast!
Podbean – http://bit.ly/PodbeanEastwoodTulsaShow
iTunes Podcast – http://bit.ly/EastwoodTulsaPodcast
Google Play Music – http://bit.ly/GooglePlayEastwoodTulsaApp
Connect with Eastwood Tulsa!